Although nowadays it is the norm for bulk cargo carrying vessels to be built with both engines and bridge structure aft, in the 1950s this was the exception rather than the rule. Even in the late 1960s to the early 1980s with the ubiquitous SD14 design, cargo vessels were still being constructed with engines three quarters aft and a hold at the stern.
However, by the mid 1950s bulk carriers with engines aft began to enter service. Hudson Deep (6,198 grt) of the Hudson S.S. Co. Ltd., completed in August 1952 by John Redhead & Sons Ltd., (yard no. 570) was engines aft and bridge amidships entered service. She was to be followed by Hudson Point (7,863 grt) from the same builder (yard no 590) to be delivered in January 1957.
Hudson Deep became Irene’s Hope in 1972 and foundered on the 13th December 1978, 150 miles N.W. of Alexandria on a voyage from Civitavecchia to Damman. (See STY July 2021 page 40).
Hudson Point was sold in 1966 to become East Breeze and the following year San Roberto. In 1974 she was sold to Greek owners under the Cypriot flag and renamed Fodele II before being broken up in Campana, Argentina in November 1979.
In January 1957 Thomasson Shipping Co. Ltd., (Stephens, Sutton Ltd. of Newcastle on Tyne) took delivery of their bulk cargo vessel Riseley (6,424 grt) from Swan Hunter and Wigham Richardson Ltd., Neptune Yard, Low Walker, on the Tyne (yard no 1930). This vessel had both engines and bridge aft.
1967 saw Riseley being sold to Greek owners and renamed Gerania and in 1973 she became Natcrest. The ship sank 15 miles north east of Ushant after colliding with 10,974 grt Nema on the 16th June 1974 on a voyage from Huelva to Rotterdam with a cargo of ore. Incidentally, the Nema was the former Rievaulx of Bolton SS Co. of Middlesbrough.
Sign-up today to read the full article!
Simply click below to sign-up and read the full article, as well as many others, instantly!