From right to left, the 4,531grt Soviet timber ship Salekhard was built in1965 by Lenina at Gdansk. In1989 she was sold to Uniforce Shipping of Honduras and renamed Uniforce. On 1st March 1993 she suffered a serious fire in the Gulf of Aden and on 3rd July she arrived at Gadani Beach to be broken up by M. Nasir Trading Co.
To her left is the 28,582grt Union-Castle liner Pendennis Castle. She was built in1958 by Harland & Wolff at Belfast. In 1976 she was sold to Ocean Queen Navigation and renamed Ocean Queen. In 1977 she became Sindbad of Kinvarra Bay Shipping, being renamed Sindbad 1 later that year. On 16th April 1980 she arrived at Kaohsiung to be broken up.
To her left is the 32,697grt SA Vaal of Safmarine which was built in 1961 as the Transvaal Castle for Union-Castle Line. She moved to Safmarine in 1966. In 1977 she was sold to the Carnival Corporation and renamed Fesfivale, and in 1996 she joined Premier Cruises as Island Breeze. In 2000 they renamed her The Big Red Boat Ill.In 2003 she was renamed The Big Boat for her final voyage to Alang where she arrived on 9th July.
To her left is Cunard Line’s 22,592grt Carmania. She was built in 1954 by John Brown at Clydebank as the Saxonia, being renamed Carmania 1963. In 1973 she joined the USSR and was renamed Leonid Sobinov. On 1st October 1999 she arrived at Alang to be broken up.
Behind her is Union-Castle’s 20,234grt Reina del Mar. She was built in 1956 by Harland & Wolff at Belfast for the Pacific SN Co. She started cruising for Union-Castle in 1965, initially on charter then Union-Castle bought her outright in 1973. On 30th July 1975 she arrived at Kaohsiung to be broken up by Tung Cheng Steel Manufacturing.
Sorry, comments are closed for this item