The 7,083grt Loch Maddy was built in 1943 by SB Corporation Wear at Southwick as the Empire Trail for the Ministry of War Transport. In 1947 she joined Milidis Shipping of London as Trail before becoming Loch Maddy in 1951. In 1960 she was sold to Panamanian Oriental SS Corp. and renamed Ocean Glory. On 2nd September 1962 she was involved in a collision at Hong Kong during typhoon Wanda with the 7,053grt Grosvenor Navigator, the former Empire Pendennis. She was so badly damaged that she was broken up by Hong Kong Salvage & Towage the following year. (G. Bunschoten – Malcolm Cranfield collection)

Joseph Paton Maclay, first Baron Maclay of Glasgow, was born on 6th September 1857 and was educated in that city before gaining his earliest experience of the shipping business by working as a clerk in several Glasgow shipping offices. His rise to eminence was not meteoric as was the case with many shipowners. He worked as an employee until aged 28 years until he had a certain amount of capital behind him and several backers including shipbuilder Alexander Stephen and marine engine builder Ebenezer Kemp. Kemp later had plans of his own for shipowning on a large scale, but lost his life while bathing at Rothesay before these plans came to fruition. Joseph Maclay started in partnership as shipowner and shipbroker with Walter McIntyre, the 25 year old son of a Glasgow iron merchant.

Shipwrecked Mariners Xmas

The financial backing enabled them to begin with six small steamers in 1885 including the new 1,294 gross ton General Gordon completed by Alexander Stephen in September of that year at a low cost due to depressed freight rates. This association between builder and owner was to last for 50 years. The 712 ton Edward Williams was purchased from Robertson & Ross of Glasgow and Ivanhoe, Nigel, Peveril and Rowena were purchased on the takeover of G. Hood & Co. of Glasgow in 1885. The new partners wisely kept to tramping and brokerage and made no attempt to run liner services.

The 3,846grt Ingola was built in 1925 by Wm. Gray at West Hartlepool. In 1940 she was sold to Tenax SS Co. and renamed Tenax, then in 1946 she joined John Manners of Hong Kong without changing her name. In 1947 she moved to Chong Kwok SS Co. of Shanghai as Kwok Sing, then in 1948 she moved to Wallem & Co. of Panama as San Antonio. In 1951 she was sold to Mitsui Senpaku KK of Tokyo as Yubari Maru and on 10th January 1961 she arrived at Mukaishima to be broken up. (John B. Hill collection)

PhotoTransport

Subscribe today to read the full article!

Simply click below to subscribe and not only read the full article instantly, but gain unparalleled access to the specialist magazine for shipping enthusiasts.

Subscribe nowLog In

Comments

Sign-up or login to comment